Everyone encounters marketing and sales thousands of times a day, and for those of us that spend a lot of time on the internet those numbers only rise. Daily we come across advertising and sales as we use Google search, Facebook even Twitter, all of which are trying to sell us some sort of product or service, but, how do we market ourselves?
LinkedIn is a social media platform that is rapidly growing yet there are so many people out there that are unaware what it is has to offer. Even though LinkedIn is social media, the same rules do not apply. LinkedIn is to be treated differently than Facebook and Twitter, on a more professional level. Your average teenager Vine or random cat meme should never be posted on LinkedIn but rather professional content that can be used to show your professional ability or an industry specific article.
The easiest way to describe LinkedIn is to consider it your online resume and platform to market yourself. LinkedIn can be used in a variety of ways all of which can help you professionally. Below is a list of the top ten reasons you should join LinkedIn today.
- You can use LinkedIn as your professional profile and resume. It is all about networking. You can build your profile, make connections, market yourself, your business or service and find possible opportunities.
- You can join groups and post content that like minded professionals within your industry can share, and comment on, all of which can lead to more opportunities for you. As you become more active within groups more members will begin to notice you and your profile.
- There are over 238 million LinkedIn users in over 200 countries and territories and over 3 million companies on LinkedIn. Many companies use LinkedIn as their main recruiting platform listing their job openings within the platform, recruiting from users with profiles and searching for potential employees.
- LinkedIn profile pages are highly ranked within Google Search. When your full name is searched, your LinkedIn profile will land on the first page, potentially the top 3 results. Your LinkedIn profile and resume are open to the public. Your resume and accolades are out there to the public, and for free!
- Recommendations! LinkedIn users that you are connected to can recommend you to others, almost like a small review. Essentially recommendations are references on your resume.
- Climb the ladder of success. While you may be aware of your company’s CEO is or the owner of the company now you have the chance to connect with them on LinkedIn, your profile will instantly become available to your new connections as well as your shares, and updates. It is crucial you develop a very extensive resume to showcase your abilities, skills and responsibilities as well as your education and past employment.
- Human Resources are utilizing social media to find out more about potential new hires and employees. Keep your Facebook, Twitter and Google+ private but your LinkedIn profile will be public, with all your details, put your best foot forward and keep it professional. Members are headhunted all the time on LinkedIn. My husband was contacted by a company through LinkedIn and got an amazing job.
- Some LinkedIn company profiles allow you to apply for listed jobs directly from the LinkedIn platform. You can apply for the job immediately or save for later if you would like to look into the opportunity more. LinkedIn will ask you if you would like to edit or update your profile at this time. You will then be asked to confirm your contact details and lastly submit.
- You can add media to your profile such as videos, presentations, documents that show your capability within your profession, your diplomas, logos and more. This is an excellent feature to display our work for all to see.
- Why not? After reading everything above, ow could you not join LinkedIn? This is a professional platform that will help you network and connect with others AND the ability or potential to find new employment, new clients, or even advancements within your company.
► Click the picture above to check out my LinkedIn profile as a quick reference, take a look around, scroll towards the bottom to view my full profile for more details, media and a full view of different features of LinkedIn. After you peruse the platform, join LinkedIn and begin building your profile.
► Sign up for my email newsletter in the right sidebar to receive the rest of my LinkedIn series.